Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Rising Angels Reborn

Rising Angels Reborn is a sci-fi visual novel about Natalie Puccile, a Special Investigations and Tactics Officer who has just been given her first real assignment. She must go after a group of researchers who were hunting a relic from a lost empire. This is also a romance story, although it is not a dating simulator. There is only one possible romance and it will play out pretty much the same regardless of which of the five endings you get. Additionally, dialog choices that do not directly result in getting a particular ending have no effect on what ending you receive, although they will change various dialog that happens later in the game. The story isn't branching. Each end will happen as soon as you make the choice that locks it in, although there will be some screens of dialog between the choice and the ending.

My opinion: I liked this VN. I found the romance sweet and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens plot-wise in the sequel. The characters weren't bad (ranging from very good to cheesily predictable), although it was blatantly obvious who the love interest and main villain were around as soon as you were introduced to them. One thing I will say was that there was a strong sub-plot around 3 supporting characters that I still can't say I understand 100%, but I think I know the general gist of it. This game did have a predecessor (and also apparently a few novels the author wrote and has publicly called bad) and when I found out a little about it a lot of things became clearer and I can way with confidence that I understand at least one of the things that happened in the 10 years between the two games. There are still some things that are unexplained but for the most part you can get a general understanding through some dialog lines they drop. However there are some things that people do towards the end that don't make all that much sense without the exact context, which is something I don't think you'll ever get. All in all the game is quite excellent, with better art than some full price VNs I've seen for sale and writing that's not half bad.

Rising Angels Reborn is by IDHAS Studio. You can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment